Radical Honesty | Rebel Kitchen’s Purpose Manifesto
Rebels, when was the last time you asked why? Not because you didn’t quite get it or didn’t really agree, but because you really wanted to question something?
Why do we eat what we eat? Why don’t we know where our food comes from? Why are there so many choices, but no simple option?
Why did we stop asking why?
We decided that we needed to start asking why more often. And the questions we are asking aren’t exactly small. After all, we are Rebels.
Rebel Kitchen was born out of a need to challenge the status quo, positively impacting the world through food. That’s why we question to improve the wellbeing of people and planet. And more importantly, to do something about it.
We are committed to knowing all there is to know about our products and sharing everything we know with you: we don’t want to eat plastic or pesticides, and neither do you. Radical honesty is the only way.
We are addressing our footprint (it’s not all about Carbon) through these core areas:
- Transparent Supply Chains
- Regenerative Organic Agriculture
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle…Reimagine
- Healthy Humans
By 2025 we will have achieved the following:
A Transparent Supply Chain
Let’s not hide the fact that our ingredients are sourced from around the world. Unfortunately for us, and you Rebels, coconuts don’t grow in our back gardens. But that doesn’t mean we don’t want to know exactly where they come from.
We will endeavour to bring full illumination to our supply chain, ensuring that everything that is part of a fair, safe and healthy system is tracked, traced and measured.
- All ingredients can be traced back to the farm or local processor.
- Farm audits that review farming practices and farmer welfare will form part of the procurement process.
- We will work with our suppliers to incentivise measurement of the use of finite resources such as water and energy, and the unintended consequences such as waste, carbon and pollution.
Protecting and maintaining isn’t always enough. Rebels don’t just sustain: we regenerate. That’s why we’re looking to make sure that we work towards a more regenerative agricultural landscape, focused on super healthy soils, ecosystem restoration and biodiversity.
- We will source from regenerative organic farmers where possible and where not we work with farming communities to support learning and integration of regenerative practices.
- We will monitor farm progress for increases in biodiversity, environmental resilience and enhanced livelihoods.
Circular systems: reduce, reuse, recycle & reimagine
We want to close the loop on consumption by reimagining our model of production and the way that we consumer products in and out of the home. We are part of an emerging cyclical consumer industry.
- Packaging will be transitioned to post-consumer recycled plastic resin (rPET), compostable, or equally circular options.
- Food waste will be tracked where possible and drastically minimised across the supply chain from farm to customer.
- We ARE carbon neutral (achieved ahead of schedule in July 2019 when Rebel Kitchen became a carbon neutral business) Business wide emissions are tracked, reduced and offset.
All Rebels are equal: that’s why we are uncompromising when it comes to fair trade and a living wage across our supply chain. The economic inequalities between the consumer and growers will be brought back into balance through initiatives that support the needs of the community.
- We will actively support fair trade, living wage, and income diversification where applicable across the supply chain.
- All suppliers will be screened for modern slavery and labour policies.
- Grassroots community based projects implemented across the supply chain through 1% grants.
We’re about more than just nutrition, we possess a powerful vision of ease and health for all: That’s why the physical, mental and emotional health of our community is always considered and is the foundation for our existence.
- For our customers, new products are developed within our health pyramid framework supporting the whole human being. Always organic minimally processed plant-based products. Never GMOs, synthetic additives or refined sugars.
- Rebel Kitchen supports employees to live a balanced and enriched life through its employment policies and work culture.
We champion our consumers, farmers and employees equally, and our progressive employment policies and work culture empowers our own team of Rebels to live a balanced and enriched life.
So, why do we do what we do? We want to produce healthy alternatives that taste mind-blowingly good, and do good, too. We question received wisdom and demand that we all rethink our unsustainable approach to health, nutrition, consumption, agriculture and manufacturing. That way, we’re connecting people and planet in a sustainable and meaningful way. Now is the time to embrace individuality with a renewed awareness of consequence
Remember, you have a choice. There is always an alternative.