These delicious persimmon crumble bars are dairy, gluten and refined sugar free. We sub out refined sugar for plant sugar, and you can mix and match with your persimmon fruit of choice.
Best served warm with your favourite (cold) Rebel mylk. We love ours with Chai.
- 1 stick plus 5 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup sugar (we used coconut sugar)
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- One 1/4 pounds ripe persimmon (we used Hachiya as they are great for baking, Fuyus should work well too), then mush into smaller bits
- 1/2 cup sugar (we used coconut sugar)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8-by-2-inch cake pan. Line with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on two sides; butter parchment.
Crust: Beat butter with sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down bowl. Add flour and salt; beat until dough forms clumps but does not completely hold together. Press two & 1/2 cups flour mixture into bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan.
Filling: Stir together persimmons, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl. Pour into crust. Crumble remaining flour mixture evenly over top, squeezing to create clumps. Bake until bubbling in center and crust is golden; give it about 1 hour, 10 minutes (if browning too quickly, tent top with foil). Let cool for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack for about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares.