BUCKWHEAT & OAT FLOUR PANCAKES WITH APPLE ROSEMARY SYRUP
Buckwheat and Oat flour pancakes with apple rosemary syrup. Enough said.
(Makes 12+ pancakes)
– 1 cup buckwheat flour
– 1/2 cup oat flour made from gluten-free oats or nut flour of choice
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch powder
– pinch of salt
– 1 cup Rebel Chocolate Mylk
– 1/2 cup water
– 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
– 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener – we used maple syrup
– 1 flax or chia egg (1 tablespoon flax/chia : 3 tablespoons warm water)
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– pinch of salt
– coconut oil, for cooking
APPLE ROSEMARY SYRUP
– ¼ cup coconut sugar
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup chopped organic apple
– 1 sprig of rosemary
INSTRUCTIONS – PANCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC/300ºF.
- Mix the Chocolate Mylk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside for five minutes. This makes vegan buttermilk, so don’t worry if it looks a little funny!
- Make your flax or chia egg by whisking 1 tablespoon flax/chia with 3 tablespoons warm water.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, whisk together the liquid ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Melt a knob of coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot and the oil begins to sizzle, ladle the some of the batter onto the pan. Reduce the heat to a medium-low heat. The pancake is ready to be flipped when holes begin to appear. Flip the pancake and cook until the other side browns.
- Once the pancake is done, place in a baking tray and into the oven to keep warm.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
INSTRUCTIONS – SYRUP
- Bring coconut sugar and water to a boil, whisking constantly and then reduce heat.
- Add apples and cook for 5 mins
- Add sprig of rosemary and let simmer for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat
Happy pancake eating!