Our guest blogger this month is Lauren Hunter a.k.a @thewholesomehunter. Her Fudgy Mocha Squares offer a healthier alternative to a flapjack, subbing out refined sugar and butter for other ingredients, and the protein powder and complex carbs in the oats make this a tasty filling post-workout treat. Won’t last too long in your cupboard (you’ve been warned).
Ingredients: (makes 12 squares)
200g Porridge oats
500ml Rebel Coffee Mylk
2 Bananas, mashed
2tbsp Coconut oil
1tbsp Cacao powder
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
70g Walnuts, chopped or broken up
2 heaped tsp Instant coffee dissolved in 1tbsp boiling water
50g Raisins or sultanas
50g Dark chocolate chips (we use raw chocolate)
1tsp Vanilla extract
40g Protein powder (we used Sun Warrior Raw Vegan Protein)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Grease a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with coconut oil and line with baking parchment.
2. Add the oats and Mylk to a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until it reaches a sticky, porridge-like consistency.
3. Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix together – the coconut oil and chocolate chips should melt easily into the mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and bake for approximately 25 minutes until firm and slightly crispy on top but gooey and moist in the centre.
5. Leave it to sit for about 10 minutes before removing from the tin and cutting into squares. It’s best served hot, so either eat immediately or gently reheat in the oven later on. They’re still super tasty cold – make sure to store them in the fridge and eat within a few days.
P.S Grab 50p off your Coffee Mylk in Tesco for the whole of October 😉